Monday, December 13, 2010

FOOD AS ART

We're still missing Gypsy like crazy (we looked at her puppy photos last night, which, of course, brought on the waterworks), but it's time to post something new.  I created the images below on Thanksgiving and meant to post them the next day.  More important stuff must have come up.  Anyway, the subject in the first image below inspired a mini project for me that day.  Those are Bluefoot mushrooms, which were selling at Whole Foods for.....(drumroll please)......$35.00 per pound!  Now, before you question my judgment, don't forget that mushrooms are very light and airy and it takes a huge volume of them to make a whole pound.  I think I spent about $2 on a handful of them, and I did toss them into my yummy mushroom gravy (thank you Dad for teaching me the art of gravy-making).  They have a woody, earthy flavor that matches their appearance.  Aren't they so pretty?  Following them are sugar pie pumpkins, Cipollini onions, some kind of Rosé wine and homemade cranberry jelly.  Just a sampling of our Thanksgiving feast this year....