Thursday, May 15, 2014

*Project 52* weeks #16, 17, & 18 / Austin, Texas Photographic Art

One more post after this one and I will be fully caught up!


Week #16: 'P is for Pomelo'
If you like citrus fruits and you've never tasted a pomelo, I recommend that you do! They are kind of like a grapefruit. Tart and 'bright' in flavor. Delicious.
This one was particularly large and my sons' hands were perfect to show that. You can probably tell by now that I love their hands, as they are in several images. I love that human hands are a symbol for giving when they are open and facing up. The joyful side of the human spirit.





Week #17: 'Q is for Queen Anne's Lace'
We've had quite a flower-filled spring here in Austin, Texas. It was a record Bluebonnet year, which, sadly, seemed to end as fast as it started. One day it was like BAM!—they were everywhere. And maybe four weeks later, they were dried up and gone. Fortunately, every year they give way to many other flowers that would otherwise have a hard time competing but are beautiful in their own right. I noticed this year that the Queen Anne's Lace is abundant in my neighborhood. I think it's a lovely flower. It looks quite different bunched up in a vase than it does naturally, with plenty of space between tiny blooms.
For this shot, I played with a very small, very modest studio setup. A few white foam boards and my speedlight with a bounce attachment. Not the norm for me, but really enjoyable.




Week #18: 'R is for Rose'
I love dried roses. I love that they hold their shape, and I love their texture and the way they change colors as they dry out, but you can still tell what color they were when they were fresh. This one was subject to more speedlight practice, and what I like best about it is how sharp and detailed it is.




As always, if you liked this post, let me know! If you loved it and want to see more, please subscribe. You can also find me on facebook.